Benefits of Career Counselling for Students By Dr Sunita Gandhi
Benefits of Career Counselling for Students: Students during their school days think about their future considering the academic interests, passion and ambition. Most of the time, students are naïve as a few thinks of becoming doctors, astronaut or may join the army, etc. The careers they think of during school days might change later in their college or graduation days. The cycle is just endless until the student is guiding by an expert. When everything seems to be confusing and doubtful, this is when Career counselling is an indispensable means in shaping the future of the students.
The experts in career counselling are to help students to take an informed decision about the future. Career counselling helps analyse the interest, ability and personality of each student. The most important factor in counselling is to make students understand each aspect of the courses available keeping in line with the interest of the student. This acts as an effective part of the decision-making process for the students while helping them feel more responsible for their own career. Careers360 brings to you a detailed article on the benefits of career counselling for students by Dr Sunita Gandhi who is the founder of Global Classroom Private Limited.
There are several benefits of career counselling for students to make an informed decision:
1. Eliminates Confusion: Career counselling helps the students to make the right decision by guiding them to choose the right subject, choose their piece of interest. It helps by letting the student choose their desired topic or stream as it will bridge your career. It is very critical to choose a subject or understand the passion as it will be the future for the rest of life. One can change the career at a later stage but the time lost in not making one beforehand will not return. Therefore, making the decision at the right moment and time is very crucial.
2. Analyse the weakness and strengths: When signing up for career counselling, students will be working with expert professionals who will analyse the strengths and weakness by giving various assessment tests. These assessment tests will evaluate the qualities, regular aptitudes, capabilities for understanding in which stream or career will the individual fit in. These tests will also help the students to assess their weakness that they might come across at their profession. The students can identify those at an early stage and work on them towards achieving their goal. The results obtained from these tests are not to make the student demotivated but to encourage them to choose the right career path.
3. Identifying the abilities: With numerous opportunities and career options at present, students might be unaware of all the options at an early stage. This is the primary reason that students should consider career counselling as an expert can provide a new perspective. The trained professionals will help broaden the career options and help students with a clear picture of available options. For instance, the student might have unusual interest or ability which through the assessment or other activities the counsellor might identify and help with opportunities like college, eligibilities, insights, etc.
4. Set objective for great results: Goal setting is the most important aspect when choosing the right career path. It helps in making an informed decision. The career counsellor directs the students to recognise the key objectives to achieve the goal. The expert will also help with new alternatives or areas of improvement to set the objective right.
5. Motivation and Support: The career counsellor will help to encourage and support the students throughout the process. During the procedure, it might get overwhelming with varied options to choose from or options that require aggressive training and skills. Students might feel insecure for which motivation and support are highly required. The process also helps students to gain a special skill set which might be a requisite for the chosen career.
6. Job/College search support: For students who might have completed college and are looking for jobs or who might have finished their schooling and are looking for a right career option, the expert will be able to help with extensive research and proper advice. The experts will support and encourage the students by offering them right guidance towards college application, cover letter, interview demos, etc. They provide feedback on colleges, demo interviews, career options which will help the students to achieve their dreams.